Apr 28, 2014
Recorded live April 22, 2014
Sponsored by Smile. Check out PDFPen for Mac, iPad, and iPhone – our go-to PDF editor. Add annotations, edit text, even script annotations using AppleScript. Visit smilesoftware.com/restart for more information.
- Jerry's Heartbleed email response and password changing using 1Password; comparison to Dashlane
- Jerry's client with a confusing email address
- AOL accounts frequently being compromised lately; AOL servers rejecting some messages temporarily; Joe's anecdote about a client changing his AOL password from a four-letter name to something slightly more secure
- Sam's 40-iPad deployment
- scripting PDFpen to generate PDFs; see "Imprint All Pages With Text" script included with PDFPen for Mac as a starting point
- Sam signed his first Managed Services client!
- including proactive monitoring using Watchman Monitoring in a Managed Services agreement; see also: Allen's Sample Agreement
- Joe signed his first subscription clients using MoonClerk
- 10.9.3 Beta Access
- Pebble is finally really good now; Apple's wearable coming soon?
- Dyn.com discontinuing free Dynamic DNS service; no-ip offers a replacement service
- Joe's SMB Terror: for every machine on the network, configure: Login Items, Dock aliases, Documents aliases, other file/folder aliases (for each find kind:alias in This Mac, show original, show original, check connection, locate file on afp share, fix alias), Finder sidebar favorites, Keychains, Go: Connect to Server recents and server favorites
- disable Bonjour service advertisements on the Mavericks server using this command:
defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ProgramArguments -array "/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder" "-launchd" "-NoMulticastAdvertisements"
see also: Apple's KB article
- disable SMB on shares not accessed from Windows machines